Suffolk County RICO Crimes Defense Lawyers
What Is a RICO Crime?
“RICO” is an acronym for the 1970 Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations (RICO) Act. The federal government enacted this law to combat organized crime by targeting individuals and organizations that engage in repeated acts of criminal enterprise. These include bribery, counterfeiting, money laundering, embezzlement, and extortion.
Facing charges for a RICO crime is a very serious matter. If you are aware that you are under investigation for this type of offense or have already been arrested, do not wait to call the Law Office of Frank D. Camera and Associates, P.C. Our Suffolk County RICO crimes defense attorneys have a wealth of experience trying cases. You can turn to them for the aggressive defense you need.
Call (877) 444-1098 or connect with our firm online to schedule a consultation.
The Penalties for RICO Crimes in Massachusetts
The penalties for RICO crimes can be severe. If a person is convicted, they could face up to 20 years in prison and thousands of dollars in fines. Additionally, a conviction could result in the seizure of assets. Beyond criminal penalties, those found guilty of racketeering could also face civil lawsuits that could require them to pay restitution.
It is important to note that individuals can still be charged with RICO crimes, even if they are not directly involved in the criminal activity itself. For instance, if someone is found to have aided or abetted another person in committing a RICO crime, they could be held liable for their involvement.
What the Prosecution Must Prove in RICO Cases
In RICO cases, the prosecution must prove several elements beyond a reasonable doubt to secure a conviction.
- The Existence of an Enterprise: An enterprise can be any individual, partnership, corporation, or association.
- Multiple Instances of Racketeering Activity: The defendant must have committed multiple acts of racketeering in a certain period. Racketeering activities include bribery, kidnapping, murder, arson, robbery, gambling, money laundering, extortion, trafficking controlled substances, and other illegal activities.
- Connection Between the Enterprise and the Defendant: The prosecution must demonstrate that the enterprise employed the defendant or was associated with them.
- Participation in the Enterprise’s Affairs: The prosecution needs to also prove that the defendant actively participated in the operation or management of the enterprise.
- A Pattern of Racketeering Activity: The defendant's repeated participation in the enterprise’s illegal affairs has to be related. In short, the prosecution needs to show the defendant’s acts were part of a pattern.
Please note that the specifics can vary depending on whether it is a criminal or civil RICO case, the nature of the enterprise, the alleged racketeering activities, and other factors.
Why Turn to The Law Office of Frank D. Camera?
If you are facing RICO crime charges, you are likely wondering who you can turn to for help. Let the Law Office of Frank D. Camera be your first call.
- Highly experienced and know how to build a strong defense against RICO crime charges.
- Capable of defending clients in state and federal courts.
- Widely respected for our track record of skillfully handling high-profile cases.
- Attentive to our client’s needs and goals.
- Aggressive in our approach and proud to work tirelessly on behalf of our clients.
To speak with a Suffolk County RICO crimes defense lawyer, reach out to our office today. We are always at the ready to hear client stories and do everything we can to fight for their best interests.
You can call (877) 444-1098 or send us a message online.
He went head-on with the previously unwavering prosecutor.
His knowledge of the law, persistent level of action to uncover the truth, coupled with his commanding presence and dedication to his clients was nothing short of top-notch.- M.I.
He went the extra mile.
He did his job with so much passion, that if it wasn’t for Frank I don’t think I would have been acquitted.- H.G.
He is a charismatic lawyer in the courtroom, very respected, and determined.
This amazing, dedicated, profound man saved my life, and there is no exaggeration to that statement.- S.F.
Over 35 Years of Combined Criminal Defense Experience
Extensive Experience Handling Serious High-Profile Federal & State Cases
Successfully Handled Hundreds of Trial Cases
Excellent Reputation & Relationships within the Justice System
Previous Results That Speak for Themselves
Exclusively Private Law Firm; No Court-Appointed Cases